Club captain Dónal writes: It is with regret that I have to bring you this news, but unfortunately after consultation between the Committee and the Regatta Sub Committee it has been decided to cancel this year’s Regatta on 22 August.
We weighed up the factors that are involved, and due to the ongoing uncertainty surrounding Covid it would not be feasible to have a regatta. Our biggest issue was the numbers of rowers that would attend, along with the crowds that would already be in Port Edgar on the day. We would also not have been able to use the shed as we have done in the past.
It was also felt that we need to focus on our own Club in the short term and get rowing back to some kind of normality. Hopefully the easing of restrictions that are due to come towards the end of next month will help us do that.
However, we do intend to have a very small Youth event in the form of a return fixture with North Berwick and Eastern, following last week’s successful event. As the rules pertaining to youth rowers are more flexible, it was felt this would be the best option. The provisional date is 22 August, and will be a row in company with a route yet to be finalised.
Sadly ours is not the only fixture to be cancelled this summer: We have received word that Shieldaig’s Regatta on the weekend of August 7th and 8th has been cancelled. The organisers cited the uncertainty around the Pandemic as the reason for cancelling.
They have pencilled in August 6th and 7th 2022 for next year’s Regatta.
I know many of you had bookings made for accommodation in Shieldaig, I hope this gives you enough time to cancel if you so wish.